Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Taqueria Style Tacos!

Real Tacos.......

With the stale taste of "Taco Bell" still in my heart, I was wary of accepting an invite to eat at a modest local eatery. Being the food lover that I am, I agreed in the hopes of just getting to eat some food and spending some down time out (something I rarely get to do nowadays). The place was very quaint, and small. One would have never expected to find a tiny restaurant there. But, despite my disbelief, there it was, nestled between the cold section and the household cleaning products! My befuddlement grew as I also noticed a small set table with various condiments on it.

We sat down and our order was quickly given in Spanish and the the man began cooking up what I later found to be the most amazing tacos ever! I never would have guessed that something that good could have come from such a tiny unassuming place. Needless to say I fell in love and in an effort to save money and gas running to the "taco place" for a fix, I've decided to take my best crack at recreating them at home.

I'd have to judge this attempt as a success!



Ingredients

* steak, cut into thin strips
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* corn tortillas
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 4 sliced up radishes

* I bowl chopped up Romain lettuce
* 1 diced tomato
* 1 cup crumbled Ecuadoran cheese
* 4 limes, cut into wedges
* 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
* a few Tb spoons of Central American cream
* spicy home made tomatillo salsa

Directions
Marinate steak strips in lime juice, adobo, and recaito
1. I a large skillet, Fry the steak strips & some of the onions, stirring constantly, until browned on the outside and cooked through, but not too firm, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and keep warm.


2. Heat the oil in the skillet, and quickly fry each tortilla on both sides, until lightly browned and flexible. Set aside, and keep warm.
3. Place tortillas on a plate, and top with steak strips, onion, lettuce, tomatoes,cheese,radish and cilantro to taste. Squeeze lime juice over.

Top with Central American cream or my personal favorite, a spicy home made tomatillo salsa.



Wrap and eat.









Don't forget your favorite ice cold beer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails