On today's menu is Mac & Cheese. I have never tried making this before, but while looking in the ole' cabinets for tonight's main course I came across a box of macaroni and inspiration hit. I remembered the two blocks of cheddar in the fridge. A quick glance around the found the other few ingredients to complete the dish. Simple, fun, and good. Ryan (my 6 yo) grated the first half of the cheese, then my 12 yo Aaron finished up.
So without further ado I humbly present my mac & cheese.
Things I would change-----I used olive oil in place of butter. Use the butter! The olive oil leaves a very slight olive taste, which mac & cheese is NOT supposed to have. All in all borderline success!
- What you need!
- 1/4 tsp flour
- 2-1/2 cups of milk
- 2 tbsp Margarine or butter (I put olive oil....Nooo...bad cook...)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 box Elbows (about 2 cups), cooked 5 minutes and drained
- In medium saucepan combine flour, salt, stir in milk.
- Add margarine.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted.
- Add elbows.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven 25 minutes or until lightly browned