Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sticky Ribs & Rice!

I began my cooking series by making something I love to have on the rare occasion I order out from the Chinese restaurant. BBQ Ribs & Tips With Fried Rice! I can say that making this dish was a bit exciting and most of all fun!

The Newbie Magic.......

Things you need,

Rice (Instant or regular medium grain).
1 bunch of Scallions
1 medium onion (white or yellow)
1 box or fresh baby peas.
1 package bean sprouts
2 large eggs
soy sauce
1 package fried rice seasoning
wok oil

Ribs (cut up into short pieces)
Chinese rib sauce
1 ginger root
honey

cookie sheet
Wok
Aluminum foil
Bowls
Tongs
wok spatula
oven gloves
*your favorite beverage to enjoy while cooking all this stuff up!

-Brown or yellow rice
(cooked but not popped, let cool in the fridge).
  • In a large WOK, heat wok oil (this oil has a high flash point). Stir-fry rice, scallions until heated through.
  • Blend together seasoning mix and soy sauce in a separate dish and pour over rice. Continue to stir fry for one minute.
  • Push rice mixture to the sides of the WOK leaving an empty well in the center. Add eggs and scramble. Combine into rice when cooked.
  • I personally let the dish sit overnight, it taste more like the stuff you get at the corner Chinese place it you "age" it a day.
After the "aging", heat wok and a dash of stir fry oil, thrown in the bean sprouts and the chopped white onions, then add the rice mixture with a small dash of soy sauce.
heat all the way through and serve!

Tips.....
Small batches cook best, along with the all important "aging".
ALSO VERY IMPORTANT---DO NOT POP THE RICE!!


-Ribs......(cut, cleaned, and placed loosely on a cookie sheet)
  • Instead of brushing each individual piece with the BBQ sauce, I put the meat and sauce into a Ziploc bag and mix thoroughly.
  • Let the meat marinate for an hour or so, or overnight.
  • Empty bag onto cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
  • Add sliced ginger
  • Bake at 375 degrees until ribs are tender and slightly crispy (you can do this in the broiler also).
-Chinese BBQ sauce
I used something in a jar named AH-SO. "THIS IS THE RED SAUCE THAT THE CHINESE RESTAURANTS USE ON THEIR RIBS.. YUMMY! THE SAME RED GOOEY STUFF FROM THE GOOD OLD DAYS"
(I beefed up the sauce with some honey and fresh grated ginger).


...well that's it. I hope I didn't leave anything out, since I'm no "by the book cook" I could have, but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

So...tell me,....what's your favorite dish from the local Chinese eatery?


2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks super yummy! I accidentally bought a ton of rice! Thanks for giving me ideas on how to use it!

    Following via blog follower list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! The recipe works really well with leftover rice, and is very yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails