Technically this is a do-over. The first time I tried making this, I didn't have eggs and opted to create a lemon -cream cheese filling.instead. It turned out OK, however it was no true "lemon bar". Here is how it looked with the cream cheese filling and a swirl of caramel....
My 12yo loved this version after 2 days, but I still craved something tangy and tart, so I decided to take another crack at the Lemon Bars AND add a twist!. This time I have everything I need to make it right.
What I used.....
For the shortbread crust...
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped Fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
If you don't have confectioners sugar on hand, just put regular granulated sugar into the blender and process until you have a fine powder!
Heat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix the flour and sugar well, then add in the softened butter and berries. Pat dough evenly into 9 inch round cake pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until brown.
- Combine eggs, white sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour and mix until smooth. stir in berries; pour mixture over hot crust.(Mixture will be slightly thin)
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until firm. Let cool completely in baking dish. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cut into triangles.