Tuesday, December 8, 2009

German-licous

Well this is sort of a back post. This weekend I baked a cake! I just went on instinct as far as the flavor goes, and ended up making my take on the classic "German Chocolate Cake". It was a birthday treat for my daughters dad. Even thou I didn't plan on making this cake in advance, it came out great and exceeded my expectations.

Things I would change....

Next time I will include a fruit filling of some type.
I would make the icing completely out of modified whip cream.

Cake

I baked the cake according to the directions for a two layer.
cool cake completely before icing it.


The icing is something I made up.

Icing
  • 1/2 container of pecan coconut icing (store bought)
  • 1 container of vanilla icing (store bought)
  • 1+ 1/2 package cream cheese
  • Whip cream (heavy cream, vanilla and sugar whipped)
(Icing will be lumpy because of the coconut and tiny pecan chunks)
  1. mix all things together. Dust off crumbs and frost cake using half the icing mixture.
  2. chill cake in the freezer until icing is slightly stiff.
  3. remove cake from freezer, then use a metal spatula to smooth out the icing.
  4. set the other iced layer on top of the other.
  5. apply remaining icing , chill the smooth icing again.
  6. apply decorations and remaining coconut icing to the middle of the cake.
put on candles and sing the birthday song!!

now...tell me what is your favorite cake flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails