Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Salvadoran Cabbage salad & Pupusa Take 2

Success taste good......yum!

A week and a half or so ago I dived in to remake the pupusa dish that was a moderate success. I finally have a method that works for me. To get them perfectly round I decided to press out the dough balls with two sheets of wax paper and the bottom of a coffee can. Crude I know.....but they were perfectly shaped, and that was the end result I was looking for. I also switched up the cheese to use a combination of mozzarella and the fresh cheese (Quesillo). That combination was very good, and melted like a dream. Best of all, I made the oh so important CURTIDO!



Putting this little "salad" together was easier than I thought






Here's what you need.....



  • Cabbage, shredded -- 1/2 head
  • 1 handful of peeled baby carrots,  grated.
  • 3 Scallions, minced 
  • White vinegar -- 1/2 cup
  • Water -- 1/2 cup
  • 1 Jalapeño pepper, minced
  • Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon
"Cook" it up.....

Place the cabbage and carrots in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water into the bowl to cover the cabbage and carrots and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing out all remaining  liquid.

Return the cabbage to the bowl and toss with the remaining of the ingredients. Let set at room temperature for a couple hours if you like. Then chill and enjoy with some pupusas or other dish like it did!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails