Alright let's heat things up!
I recently got in on a good deal on some chicken at my local market. The price per pound was phenomenal so I snapped up more than my fair share. What to do with so much bird you ask??? Well I turned to my spice cabinet for some ideas....and it came to me!
Jerk it of course!!!!
What you need.........
- 1 Tbl. ground allspice
- 1 Tbl. ground thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 Tbls. fresh garlic (crushed)
- 1 Tbls. brown sugar or molasses
- 1/4 Cup. Soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup. dark rum (optional, but encouraged)
- 3/4 Cup. white vinegar
- 1/2 Cup. orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 Cup. white onion, diced
- a few pounds of chicken thighs and drumsticks (I skinned mine).
* (or just get some GOOD pre-made jerk paste in a jar to save yourself time)
Wait a while!..................
Put all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Put chicken in a large freezer bag and pour in spice blend. Place in a bowl to make sure there isn't any leakage and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but up to a day is preferable.
Cook it up!!!...............................
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or grill. If using an oven, place chicken in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through (about 45 minutes) flipping once halfway through the process.
I served this with some white rice and white beans......yum!
The dish was met with enthusiasm but proved too hot for The man of the house! LOL!