Friday, May 14, 2010

Burnin' non Concernin' ~ Jerk Chicken!



Alright let's heat things up!

I recently got in on a good deal on some chicken at my local market. The price per pound was phenomenal so I snapped up more than my fair share. What to do with so much bird you ask???  Well I turned to my spice cabinet for some ideas....and it came to me!

Jerk it of course!!!!

What you need.........

  • 1 Tbl. ground allspice
  • 1 Tbl. ground thyme
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
  • 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. minced ginger
  • 2 Tbls. fresh garlic (crushed)
  • 1 Tbls. brown sugar or molasses
  • 1/4 Cup. Soy sauce
  • 1/4 Cup. dark rum (optional, but encouraged)
  • 3/4 Cup. white vinegar
  • 1/2 Cup. orange juice
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 Scotch bonnet peppers
  • 3 green onions, diced
  • 1 Cup. white onion, diced
  • a few pounds of chicken thighs and drumsticks (I skinned mine).
* (or just get some GOOD pre-made jerk paste in a jar to save yourself time)


Wait a while!..................


Put all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Put chicken in a large freezer bag and pour in spice blend. Place in a bowl to make sure there isn't any leakage and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but up to a day is preferable.

Cook it up!!!...............................
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or grill. If using an oven, place chicken in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through (about 45 minutes) flipping once halfway through the process.

I served this with some white rice and white beans......yum!

The dish was met with enthusiasm but proved too hot for The man of the house! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails